Azure Synapse is an analytics service that brings together enterprise data warehousing and Big Data analytics. The Azure Synapse DBA will be part of the development team for a global retail giant providing a data infrastructure feeding data to complex AI/ML models to improve customer experience. Familiarity with DevOps concepts and experience with the Consumer and Retail industry are a plus.
- 5 + years MS SQL Server Administration experience Required.
- 3+ years of experience in software design, development and engineering is preferred.
- Prior experience of configuring large-scale deployment of the SQL servers in a 24X7 production support, development or test environments is a must.
- Experience with the Azure portal, Azure PowerShell, ARM templates, and technologies is required. Experience supporting Azure or other cloud-based solutions
- Automation of infrastructure services on AWS/Azure/Others is preferred.
- Experience working with Replication, Mirroring, Log shipping, MS clustering on both physical and virtual environments
- Maintaining data dictionary/data modeling
- Reviews and oversees database environment activity and volume. Highlights issues for concern such as, lack of appropriate resources and ensures that appropriate corrections are implemented.
- Provides thought leadership for database management systems (DBMS) teams in responding to database outages and recoveries in critical client-impacting situations. Maintains call-out lists and schedules.
- Provides technical expertise and coordinates activities of multiple database management systems (DBMS) resources on a large account or multiple smaller accounts.
- Provides technical database consultation on application development, global infrastructure, and other database administration efforts related to specific DBMS. Functions as a decision-making authority on database design decisions to ensure that application solutions exhibit appropriate levels of performance, security, scalability, maintainability, and reliability upon deployment.
- Provides work guidance and mentoring to less experienced personnel. Provides database related technical expertise to application development and global infrastructure efforts. Organizes and motivates teams. Ensures communication and understanding of deadlines, assignments, and objectives. Prepares periodic reports regarding unit activities and goal attainment progress.
- Provides input to development of vision, specifies key performance requirements and defines technical critical success factors. Provides estimates for required database activities to project and account teams.
- Assumes a lead role in influencing client expectations and ensuring client satisfaction in area of responsibility and related issues.
- Reviews and performs complex analyses of DBMS products and features regarding their impact on database performance. Researches hardware and software products, recommends solutions and implements approved products.
- May participate in proposal efforts and create strategies to win business in new markets or current accounts.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer sciences or related field preferred
- Nine or more years of experience in data/database architecture
- Experience working with Catalyst and/or equivalent client or vendor-mandated methodology
- Experience working with differences between database structures (e.g., transaction based vs. data warehouse)
- Experience working with software packages or classes of packages within technical expertise
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory, Venify, IDERA other supporting tools is preferred.
- Previously experienced in a mid- to large-size firm and supporting 2008 R2/2012/2014/2016/2017 SQL environments.
- 2+ years' demonstrable experience in PowerShell, TSQL
- Prior experience in supporting multiple databases applications across the organization is preferred.
- Ability to follow standards
- Understands the importance of security
- Ability to perform system and/or apps dba duties
- Ability to recognize items for continuous improvements such as optimizing queries but not limited too.
- Strong project planning and estimating skills related to area of expertise
- Strong communication skills
- Solid understanding of Database concepts
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems, determine root cause and develop solutions
- Good leadership skills to guide and mentor the work of less experienced personnel
- Ability to be a high-impact player on multiple simultaneous engagements
- Ability to think strategically, balancing long and short-term priorities
- Willingness to travel